Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

4yr old guinnea pig has a swollen and is not eating hay and

Customer Question

4yr old guinnea pig has a swollen tit and is not eating hay and very little pellets. Still eats his celery leaves and lettuce. Little water. It is a male.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in small animals and exotics. What your are describing could be an infection or it could be the start of a mammary tumor. Yes males can get mammary tumors as well as females. With the description of the swelling and him not eating much, I have to suggest him seeing an Exotic Vet with Guinea Pig knowledge. This is very important, because if he stops eating and passing stool, he can go into a GI Stasis. There is definitely something going on that needs to be addressed asap. This is a link for Guinea Pig Vets: http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really what I expected in the answer. I already knew about taking to a vet. I just thought you might be able to give me some advice on things I could try first,
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

With swelling we cannot tell what the cause is and with the signs, the Piggie is showing it is concerning. I can suggest ginding the pellets into a find powder and mixing with Pedialyte into a slurry, and syringe feeding. That will keep food going in so he does not go into GI Stasis. You can also use the diluted pedialye for hydration. There is something going on that needs to be addressed. There are no miracle medication to give. He needs to be examined to find the cause of the swelling and the reason for appetite loss.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I hope the supplemental feeding will help. Please add some Vitamin C to the supplemental feeding as Guinea Pigs cannot manufacture their own and do need it to prevent scurvy.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Wanted to check in on you Guinea Pig and see how he is doing. I hope he has recovered fully.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 Stars, so I can be compensated for my tie and answers.

Joan