Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Our hamster was acting erratic this morning trying to escape

Customer Question

our hamster was acting erratic this morning trying to escape her cage, climbing over everything, clawing and hanging from the top of the cage. now she is lying on top of the bedding and barely breathing. I assume she is dying. She will be 2 in 2 months.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special inetersyt in small animals and exotics.

Can you tell me the diet she is on?

Type of bedding?

Ant tooth grinding?

Is she passing stool?

Passing normal Urine?

Is she a Syrian Hamster or a dwarf hamster?

Any runny nose eyes?

Wheezing or coughing?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately she did pass away last night. My daughter held her. But as a follow up, she was a dwarf with a diet of hamster food and occasional chopped apple. She was urinating regularly. The only difference in her behavior was the erratic nervousness and did not want to bury herself. In the end she was laying on top of her bedding with shallow breaths. It was relatively peaceful.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for the loss. The Dwarf Hamsters are predisposed to Diabetes and she may have suffered a problem with that causing he sugar to drop after the erratic behavior, causing a coma. We see this problem in Dwarf Hamsters quite a bit. She was an older girl which compounded the problem. I am so sorry for the loss, but it sounds like she felt the love in passing. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

Joan