Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I've noticed today my rabbit has a lump near their nd legs,

Customer Question

Hi, I've noticed today my rabbit has a lump near their hind legs, but on their stomach. I will take my rabbit to a vet this week, but wondered if I could have an idea of what it may be?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. It would really help if I could see what this lump looks like. Can you post a photo?

You can upload a photo by clicking on REPLY, then at the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon (it's right next to the YouTube icon). Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as www.photobucket.com. Then come back here and paste the link to your picture in a REPLY.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ho, I've attached 3 photos of the lump. It is approximately 1 fingers pace to the left of the rabbits private area. Thank you
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am away from my computer right now, and can't access your photos on my phone. When I return later this evening, I'll look at them and respond to you. I appreciate your patience. Anna

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting. I'm glad to hear you have scheduled a vet visit because that is what your rabbit needs. I couldn't get a clear enough view from the photos, but I can still give you some ideas of what this might be.

If it feels soft and seems to have pus in it, it could be an abscess. A vet can drain it and then prescribe antibiotics. Another possibility for a soft growth is that it is actually a hernia. A vet can repair that.

If it feels hard, it is more likely to be a tumor. That sounds scary, but there are many kinds of benign tumors. Lipomas, for example, are nothing but fat, and are often left alone. Some types of tumors do have to be removed a biopsy done.

There are other less likely possibilities, but abscess, hernia, and tumor are the most common. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be something minor.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is your rabbit doing? do you need any additional information?