Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My rabbit passed away suddenly on Saturday. 5+ years old.

Customer Question

My rabbit passed away suddenly on Saturday. 5+ years old. Was very healthy. Showed signs of pain/gassy tummy in the morning. Her condition did not improve by the afternoon so took her to the emergency vet. Perked up briefly before we left. Sniffed greens & stayed at the front of medical pen. 2 hours later the vet called & said she suddenly collapsed & went into cardiac arrest. The vet thought possibly a thin spot in the stomach allowed bacteria to pass through & cause sepsis. Absolutely devestated:(. Is this common?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name Is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special inerest in Small animals and exotics. What the Vet said is possible, but to me it actually sounds like your Rabbit may have died of a GI Stasis. GI Stasis is called the silent killer and can kill a Rabbit in the matter of hours. if the gut stops move, then that is the biggest problem and causes a painful death. This is some information on GI Stasis : http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html The GI Stasis is one of the most common causes of a Rabbit dying. If the Vet was not a specialist in Rabbits or exotics he may not know about GI Stasis. It is very unusual for a bacterial infection to cause a problem like sepsis, unless there has been some type of blockage or injury. In my experience I would suspect the Rabbit passed of a G I Staisi, which is called the Silent Killer. If I have addressed your concern, Please take a moment to Rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If you need any clarification on the information supplied please hit reply.

Joan