Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog throws up something every once in awhile that has

Customer Question

my dog throws up something every once in awhile that has bright red specs in it, or it can be a frothy pink color with specs of blood he doesnt do it that often had an xray done it shows a white area at the end of his esphoagus should I have a scope done or just leave it alone
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on your history, it does depend on severe and often these episodes are. What you have described with his vomiting suggests that there is some ulceration/trauma to the esophagus when he vomits. This could be related to the force of vomiting itself, but if we have an unknown area in that esophagus (a possible mass or severe area of esophagitis), then it's be ideal to scope. That way we know what is present and can tailor our care to address that for him.

Otherwise, you could consider general supportive care like a gastroprotectant (ie Sucralfate) to coat that irritated area, but we'd not know whether that patch is something that could worsen over time.

Overall, it does depend on how severe his vomiting is for him. Without actually knowing what that white area is, we can only symptomatically treat him and hope for the best. But if we were to scope, we'd be able to see and sample what is there to ensure we provide the best treatment for what is triggering his signs.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michaela,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Michaela Rekowski. How is everything going?
Dr. B.