Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My bunnies acting weird. She was out days. We let her out of

Customer Question

My bunnies acting weird. She was out for 2 days. We let her out of her hutch & she roams the property for couple days. She never goes far. We can always look out a window and see her near by. Today when i went to get her she let me walk rightup to her and pick her up without having to hold her back feet or anything. She usually kicks and i carry her by scruff if her neck and hold her back feet close to her body but today she let me carry her like a baby back to the house. Shesbeen inside and in the corner under my kitchen table all day and hasnt moved from there. Shes eating, drinking, and pooping but she just isnt acting right. She normally runs around the house and plays. Shes been in the corner and not moved now for 9 hours. Im really worried about her.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

I share your concern about Miss Bunny.

As a prey species, rabbits instinctively hide illness until it is quite advanced (since not doing so would make them a target for predation). That means even if she is giving no specific signs of illness, we need to tread with care. So, if she is not acting like herself, subdued, and possibly hunching when sitting under the table, it'd be prudent to have her checked by your local vet. Ideally, we'd want them to listen to her lungs to make sure there is no lower respiratory tract infection brewing (this can reduce their activity since it can reduce oxygen intake); check her belly for any blockages or obstructions; rule out any fever, and pinpoint what may be suddenly slowing her down. Based on their exam findings, they can help guide you on what is lurking and start treatment to get her back to the bouncy, wild gal she usually is.

Just in case you do not already have a vet for her, you can find one via the Rabbit Vet Database (http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/), AEMV (http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm) or http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html (since cavy vets usually see rabbits too).

Please take care,

Dr. B.