Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a cat that was vaccinated a coupl of days ago. He has

Customer Question

I have a cat that was vaccinated for rabies a coupl of days ago. He has even vomiting and I was wondering if rabies can be transmitted through his vomit
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, rabies cannot be passed from vaccinated animals at all. It can only be spread by infected animals that are showing signs of the rabies disease biting someone. So, there is no worry of rabies here at all if Scooter has been vomiting.

That said, it sounds like Scooter may have an opportunistic GI bug. He may have had this subclinically at the time of vaccination; but the vaccine may have distracted his immune system and allowed this to gain a foothold. In any case, we need to settle his poor stomach. If his signs have been mild, you could consider trying him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Though if he can keep that down, you can then try him with an easy to digest diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (only use a garlic/onion free one). These can be offered as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.

Overall, there is no risk of rabies exposure from Scooter even if he has just been vaccinated. So, we don't need to worry about that but may want to use the above to try to settle that upset stomach. Of course, if he is too nauseous or isn't settling, we may need to have him reassessed just in case he needs a short course of antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Pleaseremember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as thisis how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )