Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Please help - I have two ferrets, the female who is 4yrs old

Customer Question

Please help - I have two ferrets, the female who is 4yrs old had Diarrhea (pretty bad, first it was grainy then it was brown and green very liquid). We went to the Vet and he prescribed 2 antiobiotics and a antiacid. She has taken them for 24 hours now but she still has bad diarrhea - this time it came with a lot of mucus. Her stool is light brown and yellow with mucus and no blood - is this ok? Should we have an x-ray?
Behavioral wise, she has been more active than usual and biting her toys more than normal. She also stopped eating, we have been giving her Electrolit to keep her hydrated and some Ferret vitamins. We are very concerned and do not know if the vet was able to diagnose her well.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update: She just went again, this time it was like water with a light brown color.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What tests have been done?

What antibiotics are you using specifically?