Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

my modular home in the desert has been infested with

Customer Question

my modular home in the desert has been infested with little brown mice and I wanted to know what the best way to get rid of them. My friend told me about fox urine, she said to put it around the house, inside and they should leave. is this true, or is there a better quicker, (immediate) way to get rid of these mice. Also will the fox urine trip out my Alpha Dog Pit bull?

Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, it is important to note that the only instant fix one can achieve in this type of situation would be to have the house tented and the mice killed using pesticides. Otherwise, any home treatments will be aimed at deterring or disposing of the mice over time.

In regards ***** ***** friend's suggestion, fox urine, ammonia, and even cat urine (some people even sprinkle dirty cat litter outside their homes) can be used in the manner. The aim with this is that you are tricking the mice into thinking there is a 'big scary predator here.' (Just to note, dog urine isn't usually as potent smelling enough to use). So, that is an option but as you noted any other animal's urine could be stressful to your dog. If he is very dominant, then consider the ammonia or cat urine. But in all cases, these should be only used in areas he doesn't have direct access to.

Alternatively, you can try using peppermint oil (not extract), another pungent unpleasant smell for these sensitive nosed critters. This can be done by pouring it over cotton batting (or rags) and placed in the areas the mice have been lurking. Just to note, many exterminators use peppermint oil to drive mice and rats away. Peppermint oil can be used with other strong oils to maximize the rodent deterring effectiveness (though these do tend to refreshing often).

Finally, if deterring isn't quick enough for you, then humane traps are always an option. These are non-harmful traps for catching the mice. The only dilemma of capture is what you choose to do with them afterwards. Some pest control places will take them for you and/or kill them. Alternatively, you may consider capturing them in humane traps and then releasing them far from your house or offering the mouse/rat bait to kill them at home The latter would allow you to control where any poison could get to and avoid a situation where your dog gets into rodent bait and is poisoned (a common issue in these cases if people are not careful).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )