Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I purchased a brand new bag of dog food and after placing it

Customer Question

I purchased a brand new bag of dog food and after placing it in my pets dog bowls noticed one of my 2 dogs was not eating ANY; however, my other dog ate nearly half then left the other half which is rare for them both not to eat ALL of it.
I inspected the food and found that this brand new bag had maggots in it, quite a few and I immidately disposed of all of it in a plastic bag and then threw in a dumpster at my apartment complex.
Day 2 of the incident, the dog that ate nearly half has maggots in his poop and I'm wanting to know if this will pass or if he needs to see a vet.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. That would be odd for the maggots to pass through his GI tract without getting somewhat digested and dying. Unless you saw the maggots come out at the moment he defecated, they may have come from another source. Make sure you are not seeing tapeworm segments as well, which would be slightly bigger than a piece of rice, off white, flat and make an undulating movement. If are sure that it came out in fresh stool, I would definitely have him evaluated by your vet tomorrow. Even if there is a chance it is a tapeworm, then Ziggy would need to be dewormed anyway. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I picked up the poop literally right after it hit the ground because I was at the Dog Park where you are required to do so. He has never had worms in the past, and it's odd that 2 day's after he came in contact with maggots in his food, that he had similar creatures in his poop so is it possible that it will just pass through him if and not hurt him?They didn't look look like tape worms, it was definitely maggots. He is on worm treatment, so is it possible that the maggots came out in his stool alive but won't ultimately hurt him?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Well, if they are able to pass through alive, then I would be concerned enough to want to treat. Although maggots tends to only feed on dead tissue, they can cause a lot of irritation to the GI tract. While I would still have vet check out just in case, I would at the very least give him a Capstar which is good at killing maggots. Most other dewormers for intestinal worms will not help much with maggots. You may be able to find Capstar at your nearest major pet store, but there is a good chance your vet carries it. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.