Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I believe my red ear turtle has shell rot. On one side there

Customer Question

I believe my red ear turtle has shell rot. On one side there is a white spot, size of half a dime. On the other side along the edge It looks like a piece of the shell came off. Bleeding slightly. This female red ear turtle is 17 years old. Never a problem. I have read up on how to treat mild shell rot but the side with the missing shell, also the size of half a dime is worrisome. Is that a job for only a vet. Also as I have been reading I believe her shell is pyramid shell. I always thought it looked odd since the male, same age same feeding and tank, has a normal looking shell. Are these thing somehow connected? Any advice?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue. In order to best assist you I need to ask some questions.

Can you post some pictures of the turtle so I can see what you are describing.

Can you tell me if you have a UVB light, age, linear tube or compact coil strength and brand?

Supplements?

Diet Veggies/pellets/prey?

Joan