Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have several of my koi dying. Started with the smallest

Customer Question

I have several of my koi dying. Started with the smallest and now a few larger ones are affected. The die off began about 24 hours after I did a significant water change. Water has had an algae problem for a long time to the point that I couldn't see the fish unless they were right at the surface. There were babies in there that I didn't even know about.
I was worried about oxygen depletion with the algae, now that the water is better and more clear, the fish are behaving somewhat like they are suffering from low oxygen, or a swim bladder problem. I'm worried about the few I have left. Please help.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will help me figure out what is happening. How are the koi behaving - gasping at the surface, swimming sideways, floating, hanging out by the waterfall, etc? Did you use any kind of algae removing chemical? If so, what? Was the water you filled the pond with de-chlorinated? Thank you.