Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My ferret was found two weeks ago. She had severe bruising

Customer Question

My ferret was found two weeks ago. She had severe bruising on her abdomen and back. She has a hard knot on her spleen the doctor said it could be from trauma. Should I worry and do something or keep an eye on it
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How did her vet diagnose the knot? Was it on palpation alone or did they ultrasound?

Was the knot noted to have any fluid or hollow inside to it?

Has the bruising all healed?

Does your lass have pink gums? Normal activity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She made the diagnosis by palpating only. Her gums are pink and she is active I don't believe there is fluid in there but can't be sure. The bruising is all healed. It feels like aa hard knot.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now the difficulty here is that we cannot really assess the internal structures of the knot on palpation alone. And there is a risk that if this is a hematoma (a blood blister), it could rupture in the future and cause a serious bleed. Still, if she is otherwise well and we have no hints indicating further bleeds, it is reasonable to monitor here. But if we had any doubt or wanted to err on the side of caution, then a quick ultrasound would be able to tell you if this is totally solid (and thus likely a knot) or if there is any blood in the center that would then make it a risk for her and would make it something we'd need to think about removing surgically.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bretney,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

* Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)