Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My daughter's dog is a 2 yr old female Goldendoodle. Her dog

Customer Question

My daughter's dog is a 2 yr old female Goldendoodle. Her dog has not wanted to eat all day today, but she normally eats very well. She is also pawing at her mouth some and acts like her mouth hurts. Could this be a symptom of something lodged in her throat or stomach? She does not eat random things, so we don't think that she re something, but I guess anything is possible. Any thoughts about possible problems that would cause these symptoms? Thanks.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now I share your concern about Mollie. Appetite loss and pawing at the mouth are signs we often see with oral discomfort.

At her age, we'd need to be checking her mouth, the root of it, between her teeth, and under her tongues for anything being stuck (sometimes it can even be something they have chewed like a stick or bit of toy). As well, we need to look for any sores, ulcers, lumps or reddening of the gums.

Otherwise, if those are not present, then we'd be wary of a possible tooth based issue (ie fracture, nerve exposure, tooth root abscess, etc). In that case, if we cannot find anything caught that can be removed, then we'd want a check with her vet. They can thoroughly examine her mouth +/- sedate her to check the back of her throat and behind her soft palate to find the trigger for her signs, treat with dog safe anti-inflammatories if needed, and get her back to eating properly.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)