Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat made a wailing noise when he pooped.
, He was in

Customer Question

Customer: My cat made a wailing noise when he pooped.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was in his litter box and I heard a wailing cry from him. I ran in and he was pooping. Yesterday he ate grass in our courtyard and threw up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Pet Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm happy to pay the $19.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your kitty is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

You mention he was passing stool when he was crying did he actually pass stool?

Has he urinated in the last 24 hours?

Can you gently press on his lower abdomen between his hind legs and let me know if he seem painful in that area?

Any chance he ate something he should not have such as string, yarn etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did pass the stool. I didn't see any blood in it. He ate a lot of grass in our courtyard yesterday. It's possible he may have eaten string or something else, but I didn't see him eating anything. However, I was gone a lot yesterday. I'm going to try to press on his lower abdomen.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know how he acts when you press on his abdomen and if he has urinated today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pressed on his lower abdomen and it didn't seem to bother him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also just ate a little bit of his food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has urinated today.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you. When ever we here crying in the box with a male cat it is very important that we make sure he is urinating. Male cats are prone to urinary obstructions due to inflammation bladder stones,urinary crystals or simple bladder sludge. In many cases it appears they are straining to pass stool when in fact they are straining to urinate.

Eating grass can be signs of digestive upset. If he did pass stool and is now eating then I would suggest just keeping an eye on him for now. Eating is a real good indicator in how a cat is feeling as unlike dogs most will not stop eating unless they are sick or in pain. The recent changes in food could have caused some stomach upset and or constipation. Now we can not rule out that he has not eaten something but for now he seems stable and I think just monitoring him for a bit is fine.

I would add 1/4 of a teaspoon of mineral, olive or vegetable oil to some canned food just in case he is having some hard stools that are causing pain when passing. I would just use this for a day or two.

If you notice that he is not urinating, he stops eating, has any vomiting or is unable to pass stool then I would suggest having him seen by a vet.

I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today. Providing a rating does not close our conversation. I will be on all weekend if you see anything else that has you worried please do ot hesitate to come back and I will be here to help.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. He has a check-up scheduled for Monday morning, and I will monitor him for the next 48 hours until his appointment.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and I am here if you need me. Give him a good pet from me.