Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I woke up this morning and saw that my rabbit wasn't looking

Customer Question

Hi, I woke up this morning and saw that my rabbit wasn't looking too good. I noticed his eyes were protruding and he had his collar stuck in his mouth choking him. I quickly cut the collar off and he seems ok but a bit quiet.. I gave him some food which he ate but his eyes are still protruding and are a bit red.
Should I take home to the vet or with rest he will get better?
Suzy
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello Suzy,

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

Benson does need to be seen by a vet. This link will take you to a directory of rabbit vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

An accident like this can result in so much trauma that a rabbit suffers internal injuries. When the eys protrude we have to be concerned about too much pressure in the eyeball (can cause blindness) or an injury to a structure behind the eyes that pushes against them. If Benson's oxygen was cut off, he may have other internal injuries.

Of course there's always the possibility he will get better on his own, but if he were my rabbit, I wouldn't take a chance. It's better to be safe than sorry. For that reason, I strongly recommend a vet visit.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Benson will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!