Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 22 week old gsd heart rate 147 bpm 44 Lethargic off

Customer Question

I have a 22 week old gsd heart rate 147 bpm 44
Lethargic off food and off back end
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took on a walk roughly 11am through woodland area. She went to a bag and it had several dead rabbits in. Has a good smell before I could get to her to move her away. Started showing signs and 7pm
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm sorry to hear that Charlie hasn't been herself today. Do you think that she ate any of what was in that bag? Even if she did, the rabbits actually don't worry me all that much - just the possibility that there may have been some other chemical in the bag with them. It's not unusual for young dogs to get GI upsets from time to time with vomiting and diarrhea. If she's not up to date on her parvo vaccine, I'd consider this a potential emergency, as the signs of parvovirus are diarrhea, lack of appetite, and vomiting - and parvo is deadly if not treated aggressively.

In general, one episode of diarrhea and some lethargy doesn't concern me too much as long as they're acting relatively normally otherwise. I usually want my clients to call me if their pet is off food greater than 24 hours. That heart rate is a little high, but if it was taken at a time when she was a little worked up/active, this could be normal. I'd keep a close eye on her for new developments. It's always better safe than sorry if you're thinking of going to the ER - that's always the safest option. It's going to be tough for me to guarantee that she's OK without seeing her myself. What questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara