Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

We just had a rabbit in a clean hutch, with access to hay,

Customer Question

We just had a rabbit in a clean hutch, with access to hay, good quality pellets and fresh water bloat and die. We have had rabbits (especially those that go to shows) die from coccidia before and it appears from her symptoms that's what she had. I would like to treat the rest of the herd as a precaution. We have 7-9 pound rhinelanders and 4 1/2-9 pound lilac rabbits. At this time, I have Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium, liquid 12.5 percent solution) Is this something I can use for prevention?
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. I have not used Sulmet as a preventative, but I know people who have. The usual dose is 1/10 (0.1) cc per pound of rabbit. However, when placed in the drinking water, most people use the instructions on the bottle for treating chickens. Since you'll probably be giving it that way, rather, than individually by syringe, I would just go with those instructions. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope you won't have any more cases. Anna