Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My rabbit was picked up by a dog today.
There's no

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** *****. I'm Kathy. My rabbit was picked up by a dog today.
There's no blood, but the dog pinned him and nipped at his hind legs so some of the skin is showing.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm not sure if this is serious, because he seems fine and has been eating.
Also, I've read that rabbits' skin is supposed to peel away so they can escape predators.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Pet Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is your lad showing any lameness after this altercation?

Are you seeing the skin intact (with hair loss) or does it look torn/damaged?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paperclip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I I took pictures. It seems torn...but I have no idea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Unfortunately, even despite your photos coming out very small, this looks likes this portion of his leg has been skinned by the dog. As you noted, rabbits have very thin skin and it is prone to tearing with trauma. Even though it is positive that he is still eating despite this and showing little obvious sign of shock, it is an urgent situation. He needs to be started on rabbit safe antibiotics and pain relief immediately. If there is any flap of skin, this should be surgically stitched closed, otherwise we may need to have the area specially bandaged to protect the skin and aid him healing from this injury.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.