Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog made a nest and won't get up eat or drink laying

Customer Question

My dog made a nest and won't get up eat or drink laying there still
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is he?

How long has he been like this?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, vomiting, or diarrhea?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Is he breathing normally or heavier/faster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 8
Gums r whiteish and dry
Belly is hard or firm
No Diarea or vomiting
He has been this way for 1.5 days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to say that I am terribly concerned about your lad.

While he is refusing food, I am worried this i snot due to a GI upset or similar issue. Instead, it is those white gums that are ringing alarm bells. This is a sign of low blood volume or poor oxygenation. It could be related to issues with getting enough oxygen into his body (due to heart or lung issues) but also could be a sign of internal bleeding or anemia. In all cases, this will make a dog feel weak, lethargic, collapsed and many will refuse to eat and drink (especially if they are struggling to breathe fast enough to get oxygen to just survive).

In this case, this is an emergency. I appreciate he is a large dog, but you will either need to get a sheet/towel/rug under him to lift him to the car or consider ringing the local vet for a home visit. In this situation, he needs to be assessed and treated urgently before this can progress any further. Depending on his vet's findings, this is hopefully something that can be treated (ie using blood transfusions, removing a bleeding spleen if present, getting him on oxygen) but I do have to warn you that his prognosis is guarded as he is just now as he is. Therefore, to give him any chance, we need to act quick and not let deteriorate further.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do now thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for your lad,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kids. How is everything going?
Dr. B.