Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have a skinny pig about 4 or 5 and couple weeks ago she

Customer Question

Hi I have a skinny pig about 4 or 5 and couple weeks ago she had a very swollen foot, holding it up it was very painful. Vet put her on batril for three weeks. After about 8 days foot looking much better but then other foot did the same thing? Shes alert and eating great and drinking. I have other guinea pis no issues with viamin C defenciencies? Other foot swelled up while she was on the batril so obviously not an infectionor at least one tthat responds to batril. Taking her to an exotic vet tomorrow for some testing but Im not having high hopes. It sounds like something serious.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I apologize for the delay. I was not online at the time you posted your question, and am not sure why I was being shown as online. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

From what you have described, your Guinea pig is probably suffering from pododermatitis, commonly called bumblefoot. It usually begins with a slight injury, and then infection sets in. This may not sound extremely serious, but it is. It is a common cause of death in guinea pigs if it isn't treated. The best thing you can do is make an appointment with a vet familiar with guinea pigs. Here is a link to directory that will help you find one near you:

http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

In the meantime, if your guinea pig is on a wire floor, move herto an enclosure with a solid floor. Wire cage bottoms are one of the causes of the foot injuries that lead to bumblefoot. A fish tank works well. If you can't get one, you can use a cardboard box temporarily. Just keep an eye on it to be sure she isn't chewing her way out. You could also put cardboard over the entire bottom of her present cage. It's very important that the bedding be kept dry and clean. This site has much more information on bumblefoot, including supportive treatments you can do at home to supplement what your vet prescribes:

http://www.guinealynx.com/pododermatitis.html

It would be good to read everything at the above link.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your guinea pig will reacha full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it's not bumble foot there are no breaks in the skin or ulcerations the pigs are never on wire cage bottoms tissue is fine swelling is coming from inside had been on Batril for almost two weeks when 2nd foot started swelling while on Batril. This is something systemic I sm taking her to another veg tomorrow
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Bumble foot becomes systemic over time. If it's any kind of infection, the Baytril should have helped. But, it may be a resistant bacteria. I will opt out of your question, which will open it to other experts. Perhaps someone else will have an idea for you.