Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My daughter female pet mouse is 6 months old. she was the

Customer Question

My daughter female pet mouse is 6 months old. she was the runt in the litter and we thought she would die. her siblings walked all over her. We found her in the mothers food bowl trying to eat when she was 4 weeks old her mother abandoned her My daughter put her back in the nest but the next day she had manages to make it back to the food bowl and was trying to eat. SO she brought her upstairs and started feeding her milk with a medicine dropper. Pixie has apparently considered my daughter to be her mother ever since and would get excited and begin to chirp and make clicking sounds whenever Christie would pick her up. She would stand on her hind legs o Christie's chest and put her front paws on Christie's glasses and squeak to her. Two months ago she developed a sore that soon became an open wound across the back of her neck. We took her to the vet who checked her for mites etc and put her on antibiotics and pain medicine. It didn't seem to help much so we took her back to the vet who then suggested putting a drop of honey on her sore daily. In a week it healed and cleared up but then she began to become lethargic and though she still would eat and drink her appetite wasn't good and her tummy became distended. we returned to the vet who put her on a different anti biotic. At this point She appears to be dying so we took her of the antibiotics began putting vitamins in her water and have continued with the pain medicine though it is obvious she is still in pain. her poop his the size of thread and is long we have to pull it out when it appear as she doesn't seem able to pass it.She sits still for long periods and then suddenly will move across her house to another location as though she is trying to run away from something. At this point I don't know what to do she is suffering from something and my daughter who never cries is now doing so quietly. Any thing you could suggest please?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in exotics and small animals.

The first thing I want to do is get the little mouse on a Probiotic. BeneBac can be purchased at the Pet supply. I suggest the gel form if you can find it. The Antibiotics, kill the gut flora that aids with digestion and is very important for the mouse. Next I would like to see you add some Bee Pollen and Royal Jelly which can be found at Walmart or a Health Food store. Open the capsules and feed with what every slurry you are feeding. I would offer a rat block for food and also feed a slurry of pellets ground finely into a powder and diluted with Pedialyte infant electrolyte replacer. The Bee pollen and Royal Jelly are high potency and will help with nutrition as well as increase the appetite. The slurry is a good diet and the Rat Block is the best nutrition for the health of the Mouse. I suspect that the Antibiotic, caused the gut flora to die off causing poor digestion as well as bloating and if we can replace the gut flora and get the proper nutritional balance, we may be able to help the little mouse. Please let me know if you have questions on my suggestions. If I have addressed your concerns, Please Rate my service 5 stars.

Joan