Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My hamster is over two years old. Over the last six months

Customer Question

My hamster is over two years old. Over the last six months he has become very swollen in his belly area. He is happy and eating well and pooping normally. No diarrhea. No painful spots. I can manipulate his abdomen without any reaction. The swelling is not quite symmetrical. He sleeps a lot more but he is quite elderly. Due to his age I have been reluctant to take any action since he could become stressed even with a visit to the vet. As long as he's eating and not in pain do I need to worry? Thank you for this site.
Sidney
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sidney,

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in small animal health. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

I do believe you would be wasting your money to take your hamster to a vet at this point. Since he's eating well and pooping normally, he's not suffering from a digestive issue that could be treated. In hamsters over 1 1/2 years old, serious diseases are likely causes of bloating. Congestive heart failure is one. A hamster with CHF may have difficulty breathing, may wheeze, or get tired easily. However, these symptoms don't all appear at once, but come on gradually.Kidney disease can also cause fluid retention. Hamsters with kidney problems often drink a lot and urinate a lot. A tumor or infection of the reproductive system or digestive system may also cause the abdomen to swell. None of these conditions can be effectively treated in hamsters.

Sooner or later additional symptoms will appear, but for now, your hamster is doing all right. All you need to do is continue to give him good care. I hope this information helps.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!