Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

Ok so I never owned a hamster before but I'm worried about

Customer Question

Ok so I never owned a hamster before but I'm worried about him, I just got him but since I had him he's always sleeping and when he walks it like he's barely moving idk what's wrong with him
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for requesting me to help with your question about Sergeant fuzzy bear.

How long do you have him?

Did you get him from a pet store?

Has he been eating, drinking and eliminating? Any diarrhea?

Does he look rounder around the middle?

What type of bedding are you using?

What food are you feeding?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got him yesterday, I got him from pet smart, no diarrhea but I didn't see him eat or drink water at all today, no he isn't round, I been using all living things paper pet breeding and all living things hamster and gerbil daily diet, he's kinda cold and earlier today he got out and I had to chase him so idk if he got tired of running all around cause he got through cracks and between furniture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's not even keeping his eyes open but he's breathing lightly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm freaking out
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

It's possible that Petsmart sold you a sick hamster. From your description of his symptoms, he may have an infection in his system or, if he feels sort of cold it might be because he got out earlier today and was running around. Try to keep him warm by keeping the room he's in, warmish and make sure he has a little 'house' to go into to sleep. Hamsters are nocturnal and are usually more active at night and less active during the day, so his entire schedule may be off.

I'm sorry, but I can't do a phone call right now, as it's almost time for me to sign offline for the night.

If you have an ER vet center nearby, call and ask if they treat hamsters and if so, I'd bring him in, asap. If he hasn't eaten or drunk anything, his eyes are closed and he's breathing lightly, plus, he's cold, there's a possibility that he is entering hibernation mode and that is not safe for him. Here is more information: CLICK

Wrap him in a warm cloth or towel and gently rub his body until you can get him to a vet, right away. He may be dehydrated and the vet will need to administer fluids I.V. or under the skin.

I hope all will be well with your hammy! Please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I'm just freaking out and idk
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

You're most welcome!

I understand how you feel and it's okay. You've never had a hamster before and don't know, yet, what to expect.

It's important that you have a vet take a look at him in person, asap, to see if he's sick or possibly going into hibernation mode.

Try to get him to an ER vet now, to have him evaluated and treated. Please let me know what happens. I hope he'll be alright!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

How is your hamster doing today? Were you able to bring him to a vet?

Please let me know, as I'm concerned for him AND you! Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking back in with you to see how your hamster is feeling.

I hope you were able to get him to a vet and all is well.

I would appreciate it greatly if you could please update me on how he's coming along. Thank you very much!

Also, please let me know if you found my answer helpful and/or rate my answer positively, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thanks!

I look forward to your reply.

Warmest regards,

Cher