Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have a fancy gold fish with something stuck in s throat. I

Customer Question

i have a fancy gold fish with something stuck in his throat. I cannot see it and it is not a rock. Could be a pea or some pellets but since I cannot see anything I do not know what to do.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I apologize for the delay. I was not online at the time you posted your question, and am not sure why I was being shown as online. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

A fish will not suffocate due to something in its throat since fish breathe through their gills. However, this is still a bad situation.

Swimming head down and head shaking are the common symptoms of something in the throat. . Sometimes a fish will finally manage to get the object out, and many fish keepers do nothing. However, a fish can become greatly distressed from this and eventually die of exhaustion. To help, you'd need to catch the fish. Wrap it in a wet towel, and hold it head down. Rub the throat in one direction - toward the mouth- to see if that will dislodge the object. If you could see it, you could grasp it gently with tweezers, but since nothing is visible, that isn't an option.

The only other choice is to consult a fish vet who can take an x-ray to see exactly what is going on. If you want to do that, this link will take you to a directory:

http://www.aquavetmed.info/index.cfm?PID=6

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your fish will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Have you been able to help your fish?

Anna