Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My wether has had a frothy mouth & been drooling a week now.

Customer Question

My wether has had a frothy mouth & been drooling for about a week now. The vet thought it was due to eating a plant with high nitrate concentration in it - but I've removed him from that pasture and he still has this problem a week later. He has a lump under his jaw which looks like bottle jaw. He is eating, but seems to have some discomfort eating grass, but is OK with the sheep pellets etc. He is definitely not eating as much grass as normal and is spending more time lying down.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is the lump diffuse and fluidy? Or firm like a ball?

Does it push up into the mouth or are there any mouth based changes (ie sores, wounds, growths, etc)?

How are Pan's teeth?

Is he dropping food when he is eating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr B, the lump is quite soft and fluidy - I thought it might be bottle jaw and have been giving him Vit B tablets, but no change in size of lump. I couldn't see anything in his mouth, I felt his front teeth and there are no sharp edges or any missing - but I couldn't open up his mouth wide enough to see any problems inside his mouth. He is dropping food when he is eating, which is why I think it might be some sort of absess or problem with his mouth. He has gone off eating grass and I think this might be because he struggles eating it, but he seems to be quite assertive in eating the sheep cubes and carrots I give him along with the other sheep. I have noticed though that he holds his head quite high when eating these, almost as if he is having difficulty chewing comfortably.Kind RegardsLisa
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Lisa,

Could you not open his mouth wide enough because he was resisting or because it won't open all the way?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a photo of the swelling/fluid? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr,Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pan. How is everything going?
Dr. B.