Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My hamster is going through a touch of diarrhoea and im

Customer Question

Hi, my hamster is going through a touch of diarrhoea and im worried it may be wet tail. She's not walking hunched up though and she's eating fine. She's quite lethargic and I've given her an oral rehydration therapy I made up from sugar and salt with water.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's a 6-8 week old syrian
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in small animals and exotics. The first thing to do is use some Pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water and syringe feed. Next please give the hamster a piece of toast this will usually help a bit with loose stools. For actual feeding I suggest grinding the pellets and mix with the Pedialyte mixture and syringe feed until you can get some Critical Care for herbivores. You can also give a little dab of canned pumpkin not pie filling to help make the stools solid. Wet tail is not a disease but actually a sign something is wrong and it is usually a bacterial infection. I do suggest the hamster be seen by an Exotic Vet to be treated properly. The last thing I suggest is a Pro Biotic like BeneBac that can be gotten at most pet supplies to help with the gut flora. Please let me knw if you have further questions.

Joan