Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have 2 baby deer mice I been taking care of them days.

Customer Question

Hi I have 2 baby deer mice I been taking care of them for 3 days. Feeding them soy formula. Not sure if that is the correct thing They seem to be going the bathroom. Not sure how old they are they have fur and teeth bud but eyes are still closed. Any suggestion for a good outcome. They are very active when I go over to them. Thanks for the help.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in small animal health. It's kind of you to care for these orphans.

Raising tiny mammal babies like mice is very difficult. The best information available is written for rats, but it also applies to mice and gerbils. You must supply warmth and food, and take care of hygiene. Soy formulas for human infants are recommended, but they have to be mixed a certain way. It's not safe to assume the babies are going to the bathroom. It's best to stimulate the babies to urinate and defecate by gently massaging a warm moist cotton ball on their abdomens and genital areas.. It's a complex task to provide for such tiny babies. Here's a site that will give you every detail you'll need to give it your best shot.

http://www.ratfanclub.org/orphans.html

I also want to caution you about your own hygiene. Deer mice are carriers of hantavirus. It is especially prevalent in the Southwest, but is found elsewhere.

Symptoms of hantavirus include fever, headaches, muscle aches, dizziness, chills, shortness of breath, fatigue, and digestive problems. The incubation period is normally 7 to 39 days. As i said before, the disease is most common in the Southwest, so, unless that's where you live, I wouldn't be overly worried. You should be alert to symptoms, and see your doctor, giving him or her the details, if symptoms occur. You can read more about hantavirus here:

http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/hps/index.html

As precautions, wear vinyl gloves when handling the mice, and wash with soap and water after touching them or their housing. I think it's prudent to be cautious, but don't worry yourself sick over it.

If you have further questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. Good luck with the babies!

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I am A little nervous. I have young children who have touched the babies. They were discovered in our pocono house in pa. Would the animals have signs of sorts. How old would you say they are?
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

The mice are probably 8-9 days old. They usually open their eyes around 10-11 days. Mice don't have signs of hantavirus; they only carry the disease. It isn't common in your area, but it can occur. You could turn the mice over to a wildlife rehabilitator. If you're interested in that, let me know, and I'll see if there are some near you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please send that information thank you
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Which city do you actually live in? Once I have that information, it will take a little while to go through the directories.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cinnaminson nj
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the picture are they deer mice
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

The color of their fur doesn't look quite right, but they may just be the photo. Regardless, it's best not to have any wild rodent around young children. I'll check on rehabbers and be back shortly.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Here are the two closest I could find:

Burlington County
***** *****,

Freedom Center for Wildlife, PO Box 2014, Cinnaminson NJ 08077(###) ###-####/p>

Lori Swanson, Michael O’Malley, Sara Walsh,
Woodford Cedar Run Wildlife Refuge, 6
Sawmill Rd., Medford NJ 08055(###) ###-####/p>

If they can't help, they can probably refer you to someone who can.

Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna