Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a 5 year old Guinea pig at home. He has been making

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old Guinea pig at home. He has been making strange noises, kinda like wheezing, for a few days. At first we thought it was just a new sound he learned, but now he isn't acting right. He is very lethargic, isn't eating, and has a white looking discharge from his eyes. I think it's URI. I have given him some water, and rescue food, by syringe. I also have some SMZ-TMP at home. I started with .4cc's of that, just to put something in his system, to start fighting it. Is there anything else I can do, before i try to get to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Small animals and exotics. If this is a URI He will need to be treated at the Vet. In the mean time please take some Plain Sterile Saline eye drops and rinse the eyes and you can use a warm compress. For feeding mix the Rescue food in Pedialyte that has been diluted with water 50/50. we want the electrolytes going in. Make sure to the rescue formula you are adding some Vitamin C. this is very important as they cannot manufacture it in the body. You can also take Winston into a steamy bathroom and sit with him for 20 mins to help open up the breathing passages. These first aid measure should help until the morning when he can see the Vet. For fluids you also give the 50/50 Pedialyte and water so he does not dehydrate.

Please hit reply for questions. When I have addressed your concerns, then please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars Positive.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scott,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Winston. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check in and see how the Guinea Pig is doing. Please let me know if the information helped you little one.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, Winston didn't make it through the night. I went to bed around 1am, after snuggling with him all day. When I woke up at 530am to check on him, he had passed.
I was a crying fool, but I took the time, to clean him up, find his favorite fleece, and bury him. I picked a nice cozy spot, next to my garden, under a tree, that gives the spot great shade.
I miss the little guy so much. In his honor, we went out yesterday, and adopted 2 more pigs.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for the Loss I gave all the information I could to sustain hiim until he could be seen by an exotic Vet. Unfortunately Guinea Pigs are very stoic and hide illness well until it is almost too late. Please accept my condolences for the loss. I would appreciate if you can rate my service, since i will not be paid for time and answers by the site unless that is done. 5 stars would be appreciated. Please come back to me if you need help with your new babies.

Joan