Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My lamb has a lot of bumps in the body what can I do?

Customer Question

My lamb has a lot of bumps in the body what can I do ?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your lamb. I'm sorry this has happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

In order to help me help you better, can you please tell me some more information?

• How old is this lamb?
  • Is it a bottle lamb or with it's mother?
  • Do you have other lambs and does this appear to be spreading?
  • Can you upload a photo of these bumps?

Meanwhile I'll be typing in more information...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a show lamb
She has 5 months
And the bumps are spreading
We can barely see it
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photos. I'm looking at them now.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

The photos were very helpful... thank you. Please tell me if I have this correctly... one is on her lower flank, one is inside her front leg, and one is on top of her muzzle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well there some in her neck
In 2 of her front legs
Under her arm
By her nose
And by her ears
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

And can you also please tell me if she's recently been dipped with anything?

Also, as a show lamb, is it reasonable for me to assume she's being shampooed and sheared frequently?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm also interested in knowing if they start out with that yellow, crusty stuff on top before getting raw and oozing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is a show lamb it's in a school barn we just got like 2 weeks and she didn't have any and when we got it was shave and clean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All this bumps appears in a couple of days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took her a shower Monday afternoon and she didn't have any thing in her face and on her legs
I noticed Saturday the bumps under her arm but they were not red like today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today when we took her a shower and I was scrubbing her boots I felt them
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Based on the photographs and the history you've provided, there are a couple of different things that could be causing these bumps to show up.

• Warts (caused by a virus)
  • A fungal infection (often caused by ringworm, and common in show goats)
  • A bacterial infection

Unfortunately, all three of these things can occur somewhat commonly in show goats. Fungal infections are the most common, but they all can look somewhat alike and telling the difference is hard.

In order to know what kind of treatment is needed to make the bumps go away, you'll need to know which of those three it is.

The best way to do that is to have a vet take a look. With a thorough physical exam and some simple diagnostic tests, the vet will be able to prescribe the best treatment.

Without a veterinary examination, you're best guess would be to try an antimicrobial dip. Have you ever used Captan, chlorhexidine, or lime sulfer dips on your show lambs?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Here are some basic instructions if you want to try treating these yourself first before calling the vet. Do keep in mind that some fungal and bacterial infections can spread to people, so you'll want to be sure to wear gloves and wash your hands thoroughly after handling her skin. You'll also want to be sure to thoroughly disinfect all shears and tools used her so you don't spread it to any other lambs.

Treatment (choose one of the following):

• Chlorhexidine (diluted 1:4 in water) applied 3 times a day until resolved.
  • Topical iodine compounds (2-5%) can be applied to the lesions.
  • Captan, a plant fungicide, (mixed 1 ounce of the 50% powder to a gallon
  • of water) applied daily for 3 days and then weekly until resolved.
  • Allow the animal as much exposure to sunlight as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

And I should mention that if this is warts, which are caused by a virus, the warts will go away on their own after several weeks. There is no treatment to rapidly remove warts, unless you cut them off.

Most of the time, however, the problem is one that will respond to one of the dips mentioned above.

Does this help to answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today we took her to the vet because the place where we bought her hurt her ear when they took the tag off, but we didn't notice the bumps until we take her a shower this afternoon the only thing we noticed it was in her nose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they put a vaccine I send you the information do you think that will help
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

The shot they gave her (Baytril) isn't a vaccine. It's actually an antibiotic. It's too bad they didn't notice the bumps (or the bumps weren't there) when they looked at her. It really would be best to have them checked out.

Short of that, the best recommendation I can make is to try one of the treatments I listed above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the bumbs were there cause I took her today and I noticed today after we took her a shower where can i find all the treatments you send me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how will I put them in her
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Captan is a fungicide available at most gardening, farm supply, and feed stores.

Chlorhexidine is sold as Nolvasan (through your vet) or as Chorosan at most farm supply and feed stores.

Mix the chlorhexidine as directed on the package (you have to dilute it), then add one tablespoon of captan to the solution and mix well. Put the mixture into a hand sprayer and soak the wool down thoroughly. Work the solution into the wool thoroughly with your hands or a brush and leave on. Do not rinse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doing all this is going to help her a lot right? But how long it will take for everything to clear ...we have a show coming up
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I cannot promise you if doing the dips will help because there is no way I can diagnose her without the benefit of an examination. I can provide you with information about what is common and what most people with show lambs do to treat the common skin problems their show lambs get.

I understand it's important to get her looking her best as quickly as possible.

With that being the case, if I were in your shoes, I'd get back to the vet tomorrow so as not to waste any time trying treatment that might not work.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Does this help to answer your question and help you decide what to do?

I wish I had better news for you. Having a successful show lamb is often a real challenge. So many things can go wrong. I wish it was easier.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and happy to help. My goal is to make sure you have the information you need so you can decide how you want to proceed from here to help your lamb get better.

It's also very important for you to take a moment to ACCEPT my answer if you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far. When providing feedback, please remember that...

• Your feedback is very important to me; I want to be as helpful as possible.
  • As stated clearly in the disclaimer, this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical care.
  • Without your positive feedback, the website keeps your entire deposit and I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not yet satisfied with the information I've provided, please let me know what else I can help you with. As I said, my goal is to be as helpful as possible.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your show lamb and ask what else I can do to help you be satisfied with the information I've provided. I know it's a lot of information to digest and I'm here to help.

I'm hopeful that today you'll be able to start getting her on the mend.

Thank you.

Dr. Jo

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

One final check to ask if there's anything else I can do to help you find the information you need for your show lamb. I want to be as helpful as possible to earn your ACCEPT. Please remember that if you do not ACCEPT my answer, the website keeps your entire deposit and I receive no compensation for my time and effort in helping you.

It was my privilege to be here with the information you were looking for at the time you needed it. I'm hoping you will help me now.

Thank you.