Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We're parents of a 7 month old golden retriever who just had

Customer Question

Hi Nancy - we're parents of a 7 month old golden retriever who just had a major bloody nose from her right nostril. HELP! Thank you! Joie
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Nose bleed is something which you see now and again in the dog, of course it is not a disease in itself but is a sign of a disease so I will give you my list of possible conditions which I would consider when first being present with such cases ...

1. Bleeding disorders including inherited diseases and toxins such as rat poison.

2. Nasal infections including bacterial and fungal infections.

3. Foreign objects such as grass awns lodged in the nasal cavity.

4. Nasal cancers.

6. High blood pressure and other generalised diseases.

7. Rare parasites of the nasal cavity where dogs are few a raw meat diet.

What to do in your case : In a young dog like Alex this sort of symptom where it is only involving one nostril is usually caused by a foreign object such a grass awn which has somehow lodged in the nasal passage, if you can get to the vet fairly quickly then this can often be removed with an otoscope and a fine pair of forceps without too much trouble, although you cannot discount inherited bleeding disorders which can be diagnosed via blood tests etc.

The more serious condition such as nasal cancer and the others I mentioned are very rare indeed dogs under one year of age.

The bot***** *****ne? : If this condition recurs then have Alex checked over by your vet, unfortunately there is little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how alex is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her nose bleed.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Joie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Alex. How is everything going?