Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Can I use human Lh tests in my dog to determine when she is

Customer Question

Can I use human Lh tests in my dog to determine when she is ready / ovulating ready for the male to save 8 trips to the vets for tests
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I regret to have to tell you that, no, the human LH tests shouldn't be used. LH is species-specific which means it is chemically different in different species. Blood testing for LH, therefore, needs to be done at a veterinary lab or at a veterinary clinic where access to the specific test for that species is available. Test results are generally available within less than 24 hours of submitting the sample.

Remember to start testing daily toward the end of proestrus. The LH spike typically lasts only 24 hours or less and so the test needs to be done every 25 hours in order to catch it. if the testing starts too late, the spike will be missed. The spike generally occurs 48 hours prior to ovulation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Piper. How is everything going?