Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Our 2 budgies are breaking the eggs that are getting? Why do

Customer Question

Our 2 budgies are breaking the eggs that are getting laid? Why do they do this? I have make & female
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant 1 female & 1 male
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. Young Budgies are known for smashing their eggs. By young I mean if they are less than about 1 year of age. The fact is when they do this they just are confused and don't know what to do yet. As they age though they should learn what to do. Usually nature takes over at this point and they get it figured out. No, they cannot tell if eggs are fertilized or not. Give them some time.....I hope this helps. And make sure you always just have the 1 male and 1 female in the cage as they mature this will also protect the eggs from other birds. Please let me know if you have questions as I check my computer each night. Most Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The female is about 3-4 yrs & the male is 2-3yrs. This is her second time around that she has laid eggs & both times the eggs jave ended up being smashed. Is there a reason why they would be doing this at these ages
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Some budgies unfortunately will continue to do this behavior, but the most important thing to know is that if your female continues to lay eggs uncontrollably then she could get sick as constant egg laying will deplete her reserves. The best thing you can do is take the eggs out of the cage to stop this behavior and also cut back on the amount of light they are getting in a day. Try starting to cut back to 9 hours of light a day and see if that slows down the laying and then you can gradually increase. Figure out how much light they are getting now and cut back a little at a time.

Also I would recommend that you get a good budgie book and read up on them and really educate yourself about them so you can take the very best care of them. You might not ever be able to stop the egg smashing if they are doing it still but cutting the light back may help. Hope this helps. Sincerely,DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

You are more than welcome. If you are happy with my service and have no other questions for me, please accept my answer.

Have a good day. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B