Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

We have a large goldfish (4") in a 25 gal. tank. He's been

Customer Question

We have a large goldfish (4") in a 25 gal. tank. He's been in great health until the other night. His poop is translucent and very long, not brown the way it used to be. He is now hovering on the bottom of the tank and opening/closing his mouth very fast. My son accidentally spilled the fish food in the tank the other night and it was way too much. I've done 3 water changes; ammonia level is perfect (0) and I've put in a new filter. What can we do? I read somewhere that he may be constipated and that I could feed him shelled peas. Thanks.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. That long translucent poop is a classic sign of over feeding. Your fish probably ate the spilled food until he couldn't hold any more. This can be life-threatening. You've taken some excellent steps already. I recommend not feeding him at all for two full days. After that, feed him a couple of thawed out and peeled peas. Then, feed nothing but peas for a few days. If he seems to get better, you can gradually re-introduce his regular food. The fact that he is breathing rapidly tells us that he's having some trouble getting enough oxygen. That can be due to the excessive food in his body. If possible, add a second pump with a bubbler attached to get more oxygen into the water. I'm glad to hear your ammonia is at zero; that will help, too. There is very little you can do to help in this situation. Give the fish some time to empty his digestive system, then try feeding peas. I hope that will be enough to save him. If you have more questions, let me know in a reply. Anna