Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 1 year old female guinea pig has very shallow breathing.

Customer Question

My 1 year old female guinea pig has very shallow breathing. She is eating and drinking. No runny eyes or nose.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Marigold. I am happy to help you this evening. Good job with cleaning the pen and giving her lots of veggies. Vitamin C really helps keep them very healthy. But in this case it sounds like it might take more to make her breath a little better. At her age and with the description of how she is breathing it is possible she has an infection in her lungs. This is not uncommon in guinea pigs. It is best to have her seen by your vet to listen to her lungs and do a good thorough exam. Also x rays can help if necessary to look at her lungs. Then antibiotics usually will clear this up and make her feel better and have her breathing return to normal. I would not wait long because these can progress quickly in quinea pigs. So the faster you get her treated the faster she will get better.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help. However, the message basically said to go to the vet. My vet doesn't see guinea pigs.

Unfortunately with guinea pigs there is little to do at home when they aren't feeling well beyond what you are already doing. I recommend strongly finding a vet in your area that sees and treats guinea pigs if your current vet does not. A lot of vets will see them.