Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We live in France. our Labrador began harsh coughing as

Customer Question

hi. we live in France. our Labrador began harsh coughing as though she had something stuck in her throat five days ago. after several coughs, she appears to vomit something up but swallows it. she has episodes of this many times a day but worse at night and finds it quite distressing. last night she was breathing in a strange way after each episode. Our French vet seems to think she has a non-obstructive inflammation in her trachea and has prescribed Sepvapulmyl for 5 days, dose to be completed Friday. I think shes worse now though. she is just 2 years old, full vacs and wormings
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now your vet's clinical suspicions are reasonable but if Isla is no better on the Sepvapulmyl, then we'd have to consider other potential causes. Other common causes for harsh coughing include bacterial tracheitis, kennel cough (Bordetella), Parainfluenza, or parasites (ie lung or heart worm).

With all this in mind, it would be worth ringing her vet and updating them on her lack of treatment response. To cover these other bases, you can have them dispense antibiotics +/ a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, or Previcox. Furthermore, in the meantime, I would just note that you can also soothe her throat by offering a few milliliters of honey or plain honey/glycerin cough syrup (with no drugs in it). These can be used as often as needed to coat her throat and reduce the irritation that is driving the cough.

Overall, their initial suspicions were reasonable with her signs but a lack of treatment response means we have to consider and address these other issues. So, we'd want to use the above steps for Isla. Of course, if her coughing continues, then we may need to also have her vet xray her lungs and throat so that we can see what is going on inside and ensure we are treating it appropriately.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate toask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Isla. How is everything going?
Dr. B.