Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

I recently rescued a puppy from a bad situation...they say s

Customer Question

I recently rescued a puppy from a bad situation...they say his mother is a Maltese.. The previous owners said the father may have been a golden shepherd... Very confusing... All
I know is he adorable and I am in love!!! I think he looks to have some setter in him... Anyway are any of you good at that sort of thing? Like a what is this puppy question?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

While not impossible, the odds of a large dog like golden retriever or german shepherd mating with a small maltese are not very good. That mixed breed would need to be pretty small which doesn't seem likely. Also puppies especially young ones are very difficult to differentiate between various breeds. Even as adults it can be difficult to tell just by looks. However, they now have DNA testing to discover breeds. You can purchase one at the following site.

http://www.chewy.com/s/brand_facet:Wisdom%20Panel?gclid=CMHst7P3_cUCFZaMaQoduLsAHg&gclid=CPqTs67lxccCFYckgQodWXAGcg

Doing DNA testing will take the guesswork out of determining the breeds that your pup is a mix of. Your vet can give you a best guess but as many people have discovered, a dog's looks do not accurately represent their breeds in a lot of cases. I've seen some mixed breeds that looked like purebreds, but when bred, the pups frequently have traits from the other breed.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to see the pics? I am going to order a Dna test. Just wanted an opinion :)

Unfortunately, I don't see any photos at all. If you upload them somewhere and put a link that may allow me to see them then. If you are satisfied that I have provided you with a way of determining his breed, please rate positively.

I'm following up to find out how things are going and to see if my answer was helpful to you. I am assuming it was if you are ordering the DNA test, so I do hope you take this opportunity to rate me positively.