Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

We inherited 8 koi when we moved in. We lost two very large

Customer Question

We inherited 8 koi when we moved in. We lost two very large ones because the filter wasn't working. Now we have given away the rest except for a multicolored fan tailed one. He has two lumps on his back near his hear. One is about the size of a 5 penny piece and is brown and white the other is reddish and about the size of a 10p piece. We are cleaning the pond and have him in a wading pool. He sems quite happy and is eating but the lumps look awful.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I apologize that no one has responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. Please note that we are just beginning with your question, so please don't rate my service yet. We have a way to go before reaching that point. Your photo would be very useful. You can uipload one by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up. Thank you.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marilyn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
The above post was computer generated, and not from me. Have you been able to get photos?
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. he seems camera shy. I think I got a few today. He is in a wading pool and the sun was shining. I think I got him turning sideways which is what I wanted. Today the largest lump seems to have a bit of loose skin or feathery something or other. I'll get it to you tomorrow (if I can remember how to download from my phone). thanks for not forgetting about me.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'll keep an eye out for it. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I couldn't get the photo's to download so when we cleaned the pond and put him in the wading pool I got some medicine that was for many pond diseases. By two days when we put him back into the clean pond the lump had a filmy bit of skin coming off and by the end of the week the lump was gone and the other one was healing. he's doing fine. I just don't know what it was. thanks anyway for your help.
How do I cancel my account so I don't have to pay 19 a month?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry what do I owe you for your time?
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'll send your account in for a refund to customer service. I suspect that your fish had carp pox. With that lumps firm, come off, and later can return in different places. It's caused by a virus. The only symptom is the appearance of the lumps. The virus is related to the one that causes warts in humans. I'm glad the fish is healing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for all your help. I'll keep my eye on him and call you next time. I'll still try and down load those photos as well. thanks again.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.