Gina
Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in pet health care, breeder of English Mastiffs, barnyard, knowledgeable aquarium keeper.
673497

New hamster we bought from pet store, this is day 6 and

Customer Question

New hamster we bought from pet store, this is day 6 and yesterday we noticed wet area around the tail with faint bad smell. Water level the same since yesterday. Hamster not active since day ago, huddles in corner of cage. Suggestions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.

Hello:

It sounds like Chester has wet tail. :( Wet tail is a pretty serious illness and, unfortunately, you should see the vet with him. Here is a website that will explain everything you need to know:

http://www.chahamsters.org/wettail.html

This is actually pretty common, especially in pet store hamsters...their stress level is pretty high...being shipped, being with other hammies, having people tap on the glass during their normal sleep hours (hamsters are nocturnal animals), diets that they aren't used to having and sometimes even incorrect diets. Poor little Chester has gone through a lot.

Give that a read and let me know if you need to discuss this further. I'm happy to help. :) If you are satisfied with my answer, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal help. If you need to discuss this further, just use the reply box and let me know.

Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alexis,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chester. How is everything going?
Gina