How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 11139
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My rabbit just ate some of an avocado - about an inch and a

Customer Question

Hello,
My rabbit just ate some of an avocado - about an inch and a half in length and an inch wide. It is a Hass avocado so I am very worried and it is 9.30 pm so the vet isnt open. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate mostly the skin which I have read is the most toxic part
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.
The very best thing to do would be to see an emergency vet, if one is available to you. It is quite risky to wait. If that is absolutely out of the question, the only thing you can do is give your rabbit some activated charcoal. This an be purchased in pharmacies. You cannot overdose it, so don't worry about that. Mix it with some water and use a syringe to put a few drops at a time in the side of her mouth. Don't put it straight down the throat - it can be aspirated into the lungs. Charcoal can absorb toxins, making them less harmful.
Also make sure your rabbit has plenty of hay to eat. That can keep things moving to get the avocado through her system as quickly as possible.
If you have more questions, let me know on a reply. Again, the best thing to do is go to an emergency clinic, but if you can't, take the steps above. I hope your rabbit will be fine.
Ann
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. So what will the vet do aside from the charcoal?
Also do you know what amount is toxic to rabbits? What behaviour should I be looking out for please?
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
If you get there soon enough, a vet can lavage the stomach to remove the avocado before it causes problems. If it is already passed out of the stomach, a vet can provide supportive treatment, such as fluids and oxygen.
No one knows the amount that is toxic to rabbits because it appears not all rabbits react the same way, and not all avocados contain the same amount of Persin, which is the toxin. Some rabbits can eat avocado without problems. Others eat a tiny amount and die. There is no way to know ahead of time how a given rabbit will react to a certain avocado. The only safe thing to do is assume that any amount is toxic. You can read more here:
http://www.petdoctors.co.uk/news-and-events/rabbit-lover-left-devastated-at-loss-of-rabbits-to-avocado-poisoning/
Signs of avocado poisoning in rabbits include breathing difficulty, fluid accumulation around the heart, heart rhythm abnormalities, inflammation of the mammary glands, and death. These symptoms are often not noticed until it's too late.
If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
How is your bunny doing? I hope it turned out to be so little avocado that no symptoms developed.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for checking in. I'm happy to say that she is absolutely fine. I managed to get her to the emergency vet on Friday night and she had the charcoal which I'm sure really helped. She has eaten things she shouldn't before and been blocked up and lethargic but nothing like this time so perhaps it was a small enough amount but wasn't worth taking the risk.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
That's a relief. Charcoal can absorb a lot of toxins.
If you're satisfied with the information you received, please take a moment to rate my service so I may receive credit for my time. Thank you very much.
I'm so happy to hear your rabbit is OK. I hope she'll leave toxic items alone from now on.
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna