Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

One of my guinea pigs has bin losing weight but it's bin

Customer Question

Hi! One of my guinea pigs has bin losing weight but it's bin kind of on and off I also noticed that she has bin drinking maybe a bit more then usual. And something else that I noticed is that when I give them there pellets they gain weight but when I don't give them pellets they loose weight is it something in the pellets and is my piggy sick?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one has responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising guinea pigs and rabbits. I'm sorry to hear your guinea pig is having some problems. Some additional information will be useful.
Do you have more than one guides pig that is losing weight?
What is the reason you don't want to feed them pellets?
Check under her chin. Does it feel wet or is it caked with dried saliva?
Thank you.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two guinea pigs and yes both of them are losing weight at same time sometimes one of them gains weight and one loses. I only give them pellets as a treat they don't eat them often i try to stick with a more natural diet. The other guinea pigs name is ***** ***** chin is dry and cookies is wet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. One more question: what are all the things you feed them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timothy hay, romain salad,sweet peppers, cucumber, oranges, straw berries, d***** *****on leaves, apples, carrots, tomatoes, a small amount of pellets, and I also take them out side on warm days to eat some fresh grass.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have typed up. I'll be back shortly.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for waiting. While the foods you are trying to feed your guinea pigs are good for them, they are going to lead to weight loss. Think about it: what do we humans eat when when we want to lose weight? The list of foods you gave would match up quite well with that. These are all low calorie foods. Your guinea pigs need pellets to keep weight on. Without them, weight loss is exactly what I would expect. Pellets provide a more concentrated source of nutrients and calories.
Timothy hay (all they want to eat) and pellets should form the base of a guinea pig's diet. Adult guinea pigs also need about one cup of produce per day. You'll want to introduce smaller amounts until you get up to this amount. introducing it too rapidly can lead to diarrhea. There is no vegetable or green that should be fed every day. Variety is very important. Cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbage, collards, bok choy, broccoli, kale, and brussels sprouts tend to produce too much gas, and shouldn't be fed often. Onions and garlic are not good, either. Tomatoes, red peppers, summer squash, and greens (no iceberg lettuce) are are all good. Clover, dandelion, plantain, and grass from an UNSPRAYED lawn are excellent choices. Guinea pigs can also have fruits - strawberries, oranges, and kiwi are enjoyed. there's a lot of misinformation available online. The Guinealynx site is one of the most reliable guinea pig sites. This page has reliable information on feeding guinea pigs (scroll up/down for different topics):
http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html#vegs
Since you're concerned about feeding a natural diet, I recommend feeding an organic guinea pig pellet. They are natural. Here is a source for a reputable brand of organic pellets:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19814&kpid=77099&cmpid=08cseYY&ref=XXXX&subref=AA%26catargetid=530005150000154532%26cadevice=c%3Fref=6111%26cmpid=08csegb&gclid=CKKiqpnos8cCFQgtaQodjl8GGg
I would keep an eye on Cookie's wet chin. That can be a sign of a dental problem. If she continues to lose weight when fed pellets, it will be time to see a vet.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your guinea pigs will thrive.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering! I will try to give them more pellets, the brand I give them Is the living world guinea pig pellets, is that a good brand? And I will keep an eye on cookie. :)
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Living World is a pretty natural brand. I wish you success with them.