Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My hamster won't open s eyes. I 't see any droppings in s

Customer Question

My hamster won't open his eyes. I don't see any droppings in his cage only brown coffee ground looking stuff. He seems bloated maybe.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is having a hard time breathing. Open mouth.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in small animal health. I'm sorry to hear of your hamster's illness.
This is a very serious situation - she is critically ill and in pain. If she is still in the same condition, it would be best to take her to a vet. If the vet can treat this, he/she will let you know. Otherwise it may be best to have the vet humanely end Heart's suffering. That's a hard decision to make, but sometimes what is difficult for us, is kindest for our pets. The following sites have directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password ***** well.
http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list
http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html
That coffee ground stuff you see is most likely partly-digested blood. Something is very wrong in Heart's digestive system. There may be a twisted intestine, a tumor, or an injury. None of these things can be treated at home. I wish I could give you a home remedy, but there simply isn't one.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope a vet will be able to help Heart.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ali Handy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Heart. How is everything going?
Anna