Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My daughters hamster is loosing s hair has become very

Customer Question

My daughters hamster is loosing his hair has become very skinny and now eyes are closing, wobbling and disoriented. But he is still eating
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in small animal health. I'm sorry to hear of Fuzzy's problems. You must have taken very good care of him because a two-year- old hamster is the equivalent of a human in their late eighties.
As hamsters get older, they become prone to illnesses and conditions that can't be treated. These include heart disease, liver and kidney failure, strokes, and cancer. The symptoms you are seeing often accompany those illnesses. You could take Fuzzy to a vet, but it's unlikely even a vet could help him. At this age, all you can do is love him and make him comfortable. You can give him a little water, a drop at a time, from a syringe into the side of his mouth. Don't put it straight down his throat as that leads to aspiration into the lungs. If he enjoys those fruits and vegetables, feed him such treats. Make sure he has a soft bed. If it doesn't stress him out too much, you can put a drop of saline solution (the kind made for contact lenses) in each eye to soothe them. If it appears he is in pain, it may be best to make the difficult decision to have a vet humanely end his suffering. Sometimes what is so hard for us is kindest for our pets.
The worst part of owning these little pocket pets is that their lifespans are so short. It is always so difficult to watch a believed animal friend grow old and frail. I wish I could give you a treatment for Fuzzy, but unfortunately, there just isn't one. He is e honoring all the symptoms of old age decline. If you have more questions, or there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know in a reply. I'm sorry not to have better news for you, but I believe you deserve honesty. You and Fuzzy are in my thoughts.
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fuzzy. How is everything going?
Anna