Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have an oranda that looked fine yesterday and today has a

Customer Question

I have an oranda that looked fine yesterday and today has a large swelling that appears to be a protusion of his wen. It looks like many warts clumped together. What's wrong?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Can you clarify where you are seeing this?
How is his appetite? When did he last pass stool?
Any redness around the growths?
Is it arising from the skin or looks as if it is pushing up from deeper?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was sent a message that I would be helped in 8 minutes and that an expert was currently looking at my email. My Oranda was fine Saturday and Sunday had this column of growth about 3/4 of an inch high. I have posted my photos of this fish to my Facebook page. The growth out of or from his wen is on his head. I have tagged you as Dr. B.It appears to me that this growth looks like his wen gone turbo and crossed with warts. I feed him Hikari and do weekly water changes. I have kept goldfish for several years and have never seen this problem before.The tank is 120 gallons and there are 4 other healthy goldfish in the tank. The water moves through the filters twice an hour.I have an I-phone 4 and cannot upload the photos to an email.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to be eating, but the growth makes it hard for him to accurately direct his swimming. With 5 goldfish in the tank, it is not possible to see which fish as passing stool unless I watch it all day. Other than his wen, he appears healthy.There are small overgrowths of his wen around the area of the large column growing out of the wen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not look like a white bump with pus on his head. It really appears to be an overgrowth from the wen,--same color, but the pieces are slightly separated as though it were a wart that is slipping into parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Antibiotics have reduced the growth by 2/3. No help here. Not in 8 minutes, not in 24 hours. UNSUBSCRIBE