Gina
Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in pet health care, breeder of English Mastiffs, barnyard, knowledgeable aquarium keeper.
673497

My chinchilla (Kahlua) is 9 years old (soon to be 10) and

Customer Question

My chinchilla (Kahlua) is 9 years old (soon to be 10) and he's in a separate cage from my other chinnie but they are close by. they don't do well together as it always ends up in a fight. I opened both their cage doors in order to feed them, and Kahlua and the other chinnie were kinda picking at each other, but when Kahlua decided to jump on the other chinnie, I grabbed him by the tail to separate them. I then put him on my shoulder, walked around a bit to make sure he was calm, and then I noticed him kinda forcing himself to bend his head towards his tummy. At some point he even put both his front paws over his nose, then over his eyes....and he layed flat on me for a couple seconds (he's usually so eager to jump off me and run everywhere, he NEVER lays still on me) after that little weird episode, he just became really slow, and started shaking from time to time. (this is all in the same short 15 minutes)
I put him down so he could run around, he didn't even hop from place to plac
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he didn't even hop from place to place, he just walked kinda awkwardly to the back of the toilet (we were in the bathroom). he was so energetic before I grabbed him by the tail, I grabbed him close to his butt, so technically it should've been fine....I don't know why he's acting so weird and slow and why he's shaking from time to time...:(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just gave him an apple tree branch, that he usually loves and pulls fiercly to start chewing it. he seemed to examine it, taste it and he let go of it...I can't check his back teeth but his front teeth are fine. he's eating his hay fine though, I've seen him eat it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen a video on youtube which makes me think it could be a seizure...? he's never done that before, he didn't do the weird and slow turning of his head, just the bending down of the head (like before the chinnie hides in its house)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nnIqZhaEs
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.
Hello:
First, I'd like to apologize for the amount of time you waited for a reply. This is not the normal wait time for a customer, to say the least.
With that said, do you still need assistance with this issue? If not, just use the reply box below to let me know and I will have your question closed.
If you do, how is Khula doing now? (I assume your other chinnie is fine after the altercation?)
Is he eating, drinking, moving normally? Did he loose control of his bowels or bladder during the episode?
Thank you and again, I'm so sorry for the time you waited.
Gina :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually got my answer elsewhere. Kahlua is now fine as this was probably stress induced. Bouncing around like his usual self! And the other chin is fine too, he didn't seem stressed at all for the whole time :)
Thanks still for looking at my question, but I think I'll ask for my money back since it took more than the one day guarantee and since I didn't really have my answers from here...
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.

Hello:

I'm so glad..I was hoping it was stress induced and I'm really glad you found that out. :) I will go ahead and submit your question for a refund request for you. Thanks for giving JustAnswer a try and I hope you will think of us with a future question. Have a great night!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I was doing the refund request as you typed your reply :PThanks it's not my first time here actually, I found the site while my 18 years old dog was crying and I didn't know what to do :)Have a great night too! Thanks for being so nice :)
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.

My absolute pleasure :)