Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We are dog sitting friend and my husband accidentally one

Customer Question

We are dog sitting for a friend and my husband accidentally one dog the meds for the other dog. He gave him vetmedin 1.25mg and furosemide 40mg and possibly spironolactone 13mg
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone. The diuretics furosemide and spironolactone aren't dangerous to a dog who doesn't need them but will cause a transient diuretic effect. The Vetmedin is unlikely to be a problem as a single inappropriate dosing but to be more accurate, I need the weight of the dog whom was inappropriately dosed, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is between 35-40lbs
Thank you. 1.25 mg/16 kg (35 lb) = 0.08 mg/kg - approximately 1/8 of the initial recommended dose for such a weight - a clinical insignificant dose. It would be unlikely for you to see any adverse effects. At much larger doses, tachycardia (increased heart rate), hypotension (evidenced by weakness), or, conversely, hypertension (evidenced by panting, flushing of the skin) are seen.
Inducing emesis isn't necessary nor is any other treatment appropriate. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. We've been watching her and she seems just fine/normal. Thanks for everything
That's good to hear. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.