Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My robo dwaf hamster Bella who is about 25-26 weeks old has

Customer Question

Hi my robo dwaf hamster Bella who is about 25-26 weeks old has recently not been running on her weel,not been eating,and I noticed has being having sudden moments when she should like have a mini fit can you help me do you know what this ?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Small mammals and exotics.

I suspect the hamster may be a Diabetic and when running on the wheel the glucose levels are not correct, so she gets tremors or wobbly Please take a little pancake syrup or Kayro syrup and rub on the gums. and see if she responds. This will help balance the glucose levels. Please offer some Pedialyte and water mix 50/50 for fluids. For emergency feeding I suggest some Critical care for small hebivores. You can also take some plain pellets and crush into a fine powder and mix with the Pedialyte water solution and syringe feed. I do suggest that the Hamster be seen by an Exoic Vet to conform the Diabetes. It is very common in Dwarf and Campbells hamsters and your can read more about it here and about protein in the Diet : http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/hamsters/hamster-health/campbells-dwarf-hamsters-and-diabetes.aspx Please let me know if you have further questions about this issue, so I can address your concerns. Just hit reply.

Joan