Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

Is it safe to give aspirin to a ferret? My ferret had

Customer Question

Hi; is it safe to give aspirin to a ferret? My ferret had surgery to remove a tumor yesterday, she's in obvious pain. I called my vet and he recommended giving her 1/4 of a baby aspirin? Thank you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I'm sorry Ping is in pain after her surgery. Aspirin can be given to a ferret, but the amount is based on weight, and since ferrets are not that heavy, the dosage amount can be difficult to determine.
A published dose for ferrets is 5-10 mg/lb (5-10 milligrams per pound of body weight) by mouth, once a day.
A baby aspirin is 81mg., so one quarter would be approximately 20 milligrams. Consider her weight and make the most accurate dosage decision based on that.
In addition, if she is on ANY other medications, these might adversely interact with aspirin (especially any steroid, like Prednisone), so double check with your vet about that, and also ask if there is anything more appropriate for ferrets for pain relief, that the vet may be able to give via injection, etc.
I hope Ping is feeling much better, very soon!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher