Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have a rabbit (age not sure .... Was found running free 4 years ago)

Customer Question

I have a rabbit (age not sure .... Was found running free 4 years ago) who has a pea sized cystic type mass on her underside.
It moves freely and does not seem fixed to her belly. Do I need to have it looked at, or aspirated?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The expert you originally requested is no longer available. Since the question was locked for her, no one else could respond until that lock expired.I apologize for the delay that caused. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits.
The answer to your question is that, yes, this lump should be checked out. It is growing, and while there are several possibilities for what it may be, if it is something troublesome, it will be easier to take care of while it is small.
Possibilities include a lipoma - a mass of fat - it would only be necessary to remove it if it is large enough to interfere with movement, or if it is pressing on organs. We can’t be sure this is a lipoma just by looking at it and feeling it. It may be a cancerous tumor. In that case, removal would be more complex, because tissue around it may also need to be taken. It could turn out to be inoperable, too. Or, there may need to be a follow-up of chemotherapy. The mass could also be a cyst, or pocket of infection, as you suspect. Rabbits are very prone to abscesses. Abscesses have to be drained, then followed with a course of antibiotics. If left alone, they can spread and even become systemic.
Because there is no way to determine what this lump is without a hands-on exam, it would be best to schedule an appointment with your vet. The vet can then determine if aspiration, watching and waiting, or some other procedure would be best for the circumstances.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your rabbit will be fine.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
How is your rabbit doing? Has the lump changed any more? If you need any additional information, just let me know what.
If you're satisfied with the information you've received, please take a moment to rate my service. I don't receive credit until you do. Thank you very much.
I hope the lump will turn out to be nothing.
Anna