Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a mbuna cichlid that is swimming off, what are some

Customer Question

I have a mbuna cichlid that is swimming off, what are some of the steps to take if he was to exposed to high temperature water?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a fish keeper for over 40 years.Can you tell me what you mean by off?Size of the tank?Is the cichlid housed alone?Have you checked the water parameters?What is the ammonia, nitrites, nitrate and PH readings and type of test kit used?Any recent water changes?Any new fish added to the tank?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well how it goes is that i had the fish in a 10 gallon tank because my 75 gall was leaking... he was find when i put him in the first time.. just yesterday i saw that he was staying still a lot lately then started to swing upside down and laying on gravel and also not swimming.. after fixing the 75 gallon tank i took him out the 10 gallon ... notice the water was very warm

so i put him in fresh cool water.. his behavior has changed like he has improved... i put him in the 75 gallon( not right away tho) and he looks like he is improving... he is alone at this time the others died from the tank leaking.. no knew fish yet

im using tetra easy strips

the test for ammonia is .02 ppm

nitrites 0 ppm

nitrate 0 ppm

ph between 7.8- 8.4

alkalinity 80

hardness at soft

temperature is 85 F

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,The strips are inaccurate and I suggest the API master test kit. Did you use water that has been cycled for the 10 gallon and the 75?Did you use anything to help cycle the tank??Did you get an ammonia reading?Do you use anything to remove ammonia and chlorine in the tank?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i didn't it was filthy.. ya i have the filter and bubbles in tank

it read .02 ppm and it doesn't have chlorine in our tank water and i just put in new stuff for my Canister filter

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have well water or city water?Let me understand you used all new water in the tank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

correct and its tank water/ fresh water caught from our roof

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,As stated above I recommend the API master test kit. It is the most accurate there is the strips do not give a true reading.What has happened is you interrupted the nitrogen cycle in the tank cause the ammonia and nitrites to rise making the fish sick. You have new tank syndrome which is happening:http://www.firsttankguide.net/newtanksyndrome.phpI suggest getting some Biospira or Fritzyme #7 which is a Nitrying bacteria.1st use spring water and do a 50% water change. today and each day test the water and if the Ammonia is over 0ppm, nitrites over 0ppm and the nitrates over 20ppm, then you will do another 25% change. Your PH is very hard too and the water changes can adjust that. It should be 7.0- 7.3 with cichlids. You can add 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon one time. once that is done it can be replaced. If you take 50% of water out you can put in the equivilent amounts back in , no more than that. You will need to cycle the tank and it can take 6-8 weeks for it to regulate.The water will have to be checked daily. we never do more than a 50% change when we do water changes. it disruptes the whole nitrogen cycle and even .02 is enough to make a fish deathly ill as you see. Please hit reply if you have more questions that we need to cover.Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that cant be right cuz the fish was starting to feel sick before i took him out to put the new tank together

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Your old tank may have also had a high ammonia and nitrite level too. The biggest issue and reason we see fish getting sick is water Parameters. I have been doing for over 40 years and I truly believe that you are dealing with a problem with. Anything over Ammonia 0, Nitirtes 0, Nitrates 20 ppm and Ph over 7.3 in cichlids is high. The levels affect the health of the fish. http://www.petplace.com/article/fish/general/when-your-fish-is-sick/aquarium-water-quality-ammonia-and-nitrite-toxicity-explained The warm water temps can also cause the water parameters to affect the fish. The Ammonia and Nitrite levels are higher when the water is warmer. I believe if you follow the protocol with the water changes and testing the water to be sure the parameters are coorect you will see a difference in the fish.